[Version: March 2022]
Associate Professor of Sustainable Development and Economy 2020-
Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics
Core Faculty, Sustainability Institute
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Assistant Professor of Sustainable Development and Economy 2016-2020
Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics
Core Faculty, The Sustainable and Resilient Economy Discovery Theme
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
Postdoctoral Associate 2013-2016
The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, VA
Visiting researcher 2014-2015
Institute on the Environment
University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN
Duke University, Durham, NC
Ph.D. in Environment 2008-2013
Areas of expertise: Environmental and Resource Economics, Development Economics
Primary advisors: Dr. Subhrendu Pattanayak and Dr. Randall Kramer
Committee members: Dr. Martin Smith, Dr. Jeffrey Vincent, Dr. Dean Urban
Certificate in College Teaching 2013
Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA 2003-2007
B.A. in Economics & Biology (Magna cum Laude)
Honors in Biology
“Three Essays on Protecting Biodiversity in Developing Countries”
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
*indicates co-lead authors
1. Miteva DA., Pattanayak, S.K., Ferraro, P.J., 2012. Evaluation of biodiversity policy instruments: what works and what doesn’t? Oxford Review of Economic Policy 28 , 69–92. Available here: http://oxrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/28/1/69.short
2. Ferraro, P.J., Hanauer, M.M., Miteva, D.A., Canavire-Bacarreza, G., Pattanayak, S.K., Sims, K.R.E., 2013. More strictly protected areas are not necessarily more productive: Evidence from Bolivia, Costa Rica, Indonesia and Thailand. Environmental Research Letters. Available here: http://iopscience.iop.org/1748-9326/8/2/025011/article
3. Ferraro, P.J., Hanauer, M.M., Miteva, D.A., Nelson, J.L., Pattanayak, S.K., Nolte, C., Sims, K.R.E., 2015. Estimating the impacts of conservation on ecosystem services and poverty by integrating modeling and evaluation, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112 (24), 7420–7425. Available here: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/24/7420.full
4. Miteva, D.A., Loucks, C., Pattanayak, S.K., 2015. Social and environmental impacts of forest management certification in Indonesia. PLoS One. Available here: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0129675
5. Miteva, D.A., Murray, B.C., Pattanayak, S.K., 2015. Do protected areas reduce blue carbon emissions? A quasi-experimental evaluation of mangroves in Indonesia. Ecological Economics 119, 127–135. Available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921800915003419
6. Kennedy, C.M.*, Miteva, D.A.*, Baumgarten, L., Hawthorne, P.L., Sochi, K., Polasky, S., Oakleaf, J.R., Uhlhorn, E., Kiesecker, J. 2016. Bigger is better: Improved nature conservation and economic returns from landscape-level mitigation. Science Advances. * indicates co-lead authors. Available here: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/7/e1501021
7. Nelson E, Helmus M, Cavender-Bares J, Polasky S, Lasky JR, Zanne A, Pearse WD, Kraft NJB, Miteva DA, Fagan WF (2016) Gaps in the latitudinal production and consumption of plant diversity remain despite globalization. PLoS One. Available here: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0163002
8. Kennedy, C.M.*, Hawthorne, P.L.*, Miteva, D.A., Baumgarten, L., Sochi, K., Matsumoto, M., Evans, J., Polasky, S., Hamel, P., Monteiro Viera, E., Develey, P. F., Sekerciouglu, C.H., Davidson, A.D., Uhlhorn, E., Kiesecker, J., 2016. Optimizing land use decision-making to sustain Brazilian agricultural profits, biodiversity and ecosystem services. Biological Conservation. * indicates co-lead authors. Available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320716306966
9. Sills E, de Sassi C, Jagger P, Lawlor K, Miteva DA, Pattanayak SK, Sunderlin W. (2017). Building the evidence base for REDD+:Evaluating the impacts of conservation interventions on human welfare. Global Environmental Change 43: 148-160. Available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095937801630173X
10. Miteva, D.A., Kramer, R.A., Brown, Z.S., Smith, M.D., (2017). Spatial patterns of market participation regimes determined by location: An application of fuelwood collection in northern Uganda. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Available here: https://academic.oup.com/ajae/article-abstract/doi/10.1093/ajae/aax027/3828074/Spatial-Patterns-of-Market-Participation-and?redirectedFrom=fulltext
11. Robinson, B., Masuda Y., Kelly, A., Holland, M., Bedford, C., Childress, M.; Fletschner, D., Game, E., Ginsburg, C., Hilhorst, T.; Lawry, S., Miteva, D.A., Musengezi, J., Naughton, L.; Nolte, C., Sunderlin, W., Veit, P. 2017. Incorporating land tenure security into conservation. Conservation Letters 00(0), 1–12. Available here: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/conl.12383/full
12. Oakleaf JR, Matsumoto M, Kennedy C, Baumgarten L, Miteva DA, Sochi K, Kiesecker J. 2017. LegalGEO: Conservation Tool to Guide the Siting of Legal Reserves under the Brazilian Forest Code. Applied Geography 86, 53e65. Available here: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0143622816306658
13. Griscom B, Adams J, Ellis P, Houghton RA, Lomax G, Miteva DA, Schlesinger WH, Shoch D, Woodbury P, Zganjar C, Blackman A, Campari J, Conant RT, Delgado C, Elias P, Hamsik M, Kiesecker J, Landis E, Polasky S, Putz FE, Sanderman J, Siikamäki J, Silvius M, Wollenberg, L, Fargione J. 2017. Natural pathways to climate mitigation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114(44): 11645-11650. Available here: http://www.pnas.org/content/114/44/11645.full
14. Fargione JE, Bassett S, Boucher T, Bridgham S, Conant RT, Cook-Patton S, Ellis PW, Falcucci A, Forqurean J, Gopalakrishna T, Gu H, Henderson B, Hurteau MD, Kroeger KD, Kroeger T, Lark TJ, Leavitt SM, Lomax G, McDonald R, Megonigal JP, Miteva DA, Richardson C, Sanderman S, Shoch D, Spawn SA, Veldman JW, Williams CA, Woodbury P, Zganjar C, Baranski M, Elias P, Houghton RA, Landis E, Mcglynn E, Ohler S, Schlesinger WH, Siikamaki JV, Sutton-Grier AE, Griscom BW. 2018. “Natural Climate Solutions for the United States”. Science Advances. Available here: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/11/eaat1869
15. Miteva DA, Brown ZS. 2018. "Impact of land tenure insecurity on farm investment: Evidence from northern Uganda". Ghanaian Journal of Economics 6(1): 21-42. Available here: https://hdl.handle.net/10520/EJC-141f6afa8a
16. Miteva, D.A. 2019. “Integration of natural capital into development policies”. Oxford Review of Economic Policy 35(1): 162-181. Available here: https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article-abstract/35/1/162/5267888?redirectedFrom=fulltext
17. Burivalova, Z., Miteva, D.A., Salafsky, N., Wilcove, D. 2019. Trends in tropical forest conservation evidence. Trends in Ecology and Evolution. Available here: https://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/fulltext/S0169-5347(19)30082-5
18. Miteva DA, Ellis PW, Ellis EA, Griscom BW. 2019. The role of property rights in resisting forest loss in the Yucatan Peninsula. PLOS ONE. Available here: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0215820
19. Masuda, Y.J., Kelly A., Robinson B.E., Holland M.B., Bedford C., Childress M., Game E.T., Ginsburg C., Hilhorst T., Lawry S., Miteva D.A.,Musengezi J., Naughton-Treves L., Sunderlin W., Veit P. 2020. “How do practitioners characterize land tenure security?”. Conservation Science and Practice: 2:e186.
Available here: https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/csp2.186
20. Lee, J.*, D.A. Miteva*, K. Carlson, R. Heilmayr, O. Saif. (2020). “Does the oil palm certification create trade-offs between environment and development in Indonesia?”Environmental Research Letters: 15(12). *indicates co-lead authors
Available here: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/abc279/meta
21. Miteva D.A. and S.K. Pattanayak. (2021). “The effectiveness of protected areas in the context of decentralization”. World Development 142: 105446. Available here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0305750X21000589
22. Chen, W**, J.E. Flatnes, D.A. Miteva, H.A. Klaiber. (Forthcoming). “Impact of deforestation on ecotourism: Evidence from citizen-science bird-watching data in Mexico”. Land Economics. Available here: http://le.uwpress.org/content/early/2021/10/13/le.98.1.031020-0036R1.full.pdf+html
23. Cavender-Bares J, Nelson E, Meireles J, Lasky J, Miteva DA, Nowak D, Pearse W, Helmus M, Zanne A, Fagan W, Mihiar C, Muller N, Kraft N, Polasky S. (Forthcoming). “The hidden value of trees: quantifying the ecosystem services of tree lineages and their major threats across the continental US”. PLOS Sustainability & Transformation.
24. Xu, S.**, Klaiber, H.A.,Miteva, D.A. (2022).“Labor Market and Consumption Impacts of Conservation Policies in Developing Countries: Evidence from The Indonesia Moratorium”. In review.
25. Chen, W**, H.A. Klaiber, D.A.Miteva (2022).“Compensating Differentials of Rents, Wages and Agricultural Returns: The Quality-of-Life among Indonesian Regencies and Cities”. In review.
* indicates co-lead authors
** indicates graduate students
***indicates undergraduate students
Miteva, D.A., Ellis, P.W., Ellis, E.A., Griscom, B.W. et al (2021). “Vertical Integration Reduces Deforestation due to Agricultural Conversion in Mexican Common Property Resource Systems”.
Miteva, D.A.,Sarmiento, A., Navarrete, D., Sohngen, B., Kroeger, T., O, N., Zganjar, C. (2022). “The cost of climate change mitigation in Colombia”. In prep.
Holland M.B., Y. J. Masuda, B. E. Robinson, C. Bedford, E. T. Game, A. Kelly, S. Lawry, D. A. Miteva,L. Naughton-Treves, W. Sunderlin, P. Veit. (2021). “The tenure gap as a source of land tenure insecurity”. In prep
Cheng, Y.S.**, and D.A. Miteva.(2020).“Broken Forests: Deforestation and forest fragmentation increase malaria incidence among young children in rural Liberia”.
O, N**, Miteva, D.A, Lee, Y. (2020). “Impact of Korea’s Emissions Trading Scheme on Regulated Firms”.
Bocci, C.**, Sohngen, B., Miteva, D.A., Milian, B. (2020).“Assessing the private and social benefits of forest concessions in the Maya Biosphere Reserve”.
Xu S.**, H. A. Klaiber and D. A. Miteva. (2020). " Natural Disasters and The Spatial Distribution of Labor and Productivity: Evidence from Indonesia". Working paper.
Miteva D.A., S. K. Pattanayak. (2019). “What is good for the forest is good for the people? Evaluating the impacts of protected areas on ecosystem services and poverty in Indonesia.” Working paper.
Miteva D.A.,N. Zappernick***, J. Rudulph, Z. S. Brown, D. Ocan, C. Oryema, and R.A. Kramer. (2020). “Patterns of change in post-conflict forests: Evidence from northern Uganda.”
Miteva D.A.and S.K. Pattanayak. (2018). “Is decentralization bad for conservation? Evidence from Indonesia.” Working paper.
Miteva D.A.,P.L. Hawthorne, L. Baumgarten, R.M. Griffin, J.R. Oakleaf M. Matsumoto, C.M. Kennedy, K. Sochi, and S. Polasky. (2018). “Spatial Targeting in Payments for Ecosystem Services: An Application to the Brazilian Cerrado.” Working paper.
BOOK CHAPTERS & NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
“Do biodiversity policies work? The case for Conservation Evaluation 2.0” with Subhrendu Pattanayak and Paul Ferraro, Ch. 12 in “Nature in the Balance: The Economics of Biodiversity”, (Eds) Dieter Helm & Cameron Hepburn, 2014 (lead: D. Miteva)
"Ecosystem services and human well-being: A Case Study in Jambi Province, Sumatra, Indonesia" with Seth Binder, Amy Rosenthal, Subhrendu Pattanayak, Justin Johnson, Rebecca Traldi, Michael Anderson, Derric Pennington, Nirmal Bhagabati, 2013. Available here: http://18.104.22.168/pubs/Jambi_CS_poverty_ES.pdf
"Targeting biofuels expansion to sustain production & environmental quality in Brazilian landscapes" with Christina Kennedy, Peter Hawthorne, Kei Sochi, Leandro Baumgarten, Elizabeth M. Uhlhorn, and Joe Kiesecker, Ch. 8 in “Energy Sprawl Solutions”, (Eds) J. Kiesecker & D. Naugle, 2017
“National Policies” with Jan Börner, Thales West, Kathrine Sims, Allen Blackman, Sven Wunder, and Arild Angelsen, Ch. 7, 2018 in “Transforming REDD+”, CIFOR: Bogor, Indonesia. Available here: https://www.cifor.org/library/7045/
Contributing Author to IPBES 2019. The assessment report of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services on Global Assessment of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, 2019
“Beyond the Traditional: Voluntary Market-Based Initiatives to Promote Land Tenure Security”with Lea Fortmann and Roan McNab. Chapter IIIC in Land tenure and sustainable development”, Eds. M. Holland, B.E. Robinson, Y. Masuda, Invited book chapter, 2022 (lead: D. Miteva)
CONFERENCE RESEARCH PRESENTATIONS & INVITED TALKS
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2020), web session
Sustainability and Development conference (2019), Ann Arbor, MI
Environment for Development Forest Collaborative workshop (2018), Gothenburg, Sweden
Environment for Development annual meeting (2017), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
International Congress for Conservation Biology (2017), Cartagena, Colombia
ISEAL (July 2017), research webinar
Environment for Development Forest Collaborative workshop (2017), Athens, Greece
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2016), Zurich, Switzerland
Senator George J. Mitchell Center for Sustainability Solutions, University of Maine (2016), Orono, ME
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2015), Helsinki, Finland
World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists (2014), Istanbul, Turkey
"Evaluating Forest Conservation Initiatives: New Tools and Policy Needs" workshop (2013), Barcelona, Spain
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2013), Toulouse, France
International Congress for Conservation Biology (2013), Baltimore, MD
Agricultural & Applied Economics Association annual meeting (2013), Washington, DC
Allied Social Sciences Association (ASSA) annual meeting (2013), San Diego, CA
Center for Environmental and Resource Policy (CAMP) Resources XIX Workshop (2012, 2011, 2010), Wilmington, NC
Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2012), Asheville, NC.
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists annual meeting (2012), Prague, Czech Republic.
SCB North America Congress for Conservation Biology (2012), Oakland, CA.
Heartland Environmental and Resource Economics Workshop (2011), Urbana-Champaign, IL.
International Population, Health, and Development Seminar (2011), Duke University, NC.
Mid-Atlantic ESA Meeting (2007). (Poster presentation)
Haverford College Student Research Symposium (2005). (Poster presentation)
ADDITIONAL RESEARCH EXPERIENCE
Postdoctoral Researcher. The Nature Conservancy, Arlington, VA (June 2013-August 2016)
Research Assistant. Duke University, Durham, NC (2009-2012)
Research Assistant. Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA (Summer 2008, Spring 2006)
Research Technician. Supervisor: W. Bridgeland, PhD candidate, N. Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ (Summer 2007)
Summer Fellow. Supervisor: Dr. Neal Williams, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA (Summer 2006, Summer 2005)
“Making Ends Meet: Exploring Ways to Conserve Biodiversity in Rural Uganda”, Duke University SIDG/Lazar Foundation, 06/2009-07/2009 ($2,000)
“Harnessing the ecosystem services of vacant lots to promote sustainability and resilience in Cleveland, OH", The Steam Factory, 2017-2018 ($15,000), Co-PI with Mary Gardiner and Frances Sivakoff, the Department of Entomology, The Ohio State University
“Harnessing the ecosystem services of vacant lots to promote sustainability and resilience in Cleveland, OH", The Sustainable and Resilient Economy Discovery Theme, 2017-2018 ($49,000), Co-PI with Mary Gardiner and Frances Sivakoff (Entomology), Ryan Winston (Food, Agricultural, and Biological Engineering), and Mary Rodriguez (Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership), The Ohio State University
“Integrating ecosystem services in the design of a biodiesel facility in Cincinnati”, The Sustainable and Resilient Economy Discovery Theme, 2017-2018 ($47,881), Co-PI with Bhavik Bakshi (Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering) and Antonio Conejo (Electrical and Computer Engineering)
“Natural Climate Solutions for Indonesia, China, and Colombia”, sub-award from TNC, 04/2020-03/2021 ($32,000)
"Palmexpand: Social, Economic, and Environmental Impacts of Oil Palm Expansion in Indonesia". French National Research Agency. Research Grant. 2020-2023. Co-PI with Cécile Bessou (CIRAD); Damien Arvor (University of Rennes);Jérémie Gignoux, François Libois, and Akiko Suwa-Eisenmann (Paris School of Economics) (355,971.84 €)
“Evaluating the impacts of Minnesota’s Agricultural Water Quality Certification Program (MAWQCP)”, with Derric Pennington, Amit Pradhananga, OSU sub-award from the University of Minnesota 2020-2021 ($50,000)
“Harnessing local knowledge and global data to promote sustainability”with Natalia Zappernick**, oral presentation, Community Outreach Conference, Columbus, OH (Jan. 2019).
“Biodiversity policy: What works, what doesn’t?” workshop participant, Gothenburg, Sweden (2018)
“Conservation Evaluation 3.0: What’s next for policy analysis? Asking and answering the right questions”Policy Forum presentation, oral presentation, World Congress of Environmental and Resource Economists, Gothenburg, Sweden (2018)
European Environmental Agency travel grant (Summer 2012, Summer 2013)
Nicholas School Conference travel award (Fall 2012, Summer 2012)
Duke University Graduate School conference travel fellowship (Summer 2012, Fall 2012)
HEARTLAND Workshop travel grant (Fall 2011)
E3 Network Workshop travel grant (Winter 2009)
National Institute for Technology and Liberal Education Robert R. Churchill Memorial Prize for Student Scholarship in GIS (Summer 2007)-awarded to one student from one of the 80 participating colleges
Bryn Mawr College Jean Quistgaard Prize for Excellence in Economics (Spring 2007)-awarded annually to one senior for excellence in Economics
Bryn Mawr College Elizabeth S. Shippen Scholarship in Science (Spring 2006)-awarded annually to one junior for excellence in the study of natural sciences
Bryn Mawr College Mildred Bach Scholarship (Fall 2003-Spring 2007)-full scholarship awarded on the basis of scholastic achievement and financial need upon admission
Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists
Agricultural & Applied Economics Association
Society for Conservation Biology
Referee: Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economics; Journal of Environmental Economics and Management; Conservation Letters; Agroforestry Systems; International Journal of Biodiversity Science, Ecosystem Services and Management; Journal of Environment and Development; Environmental and Resource Economics; Diversity; Environmental & Development Economics; Journal of Environmental Planning & Management; PLoS One; Environmental Research Letters; Ecology and Society; Forest Ecology & Management; Conservation Biology; Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B; Marine Economics; Nature Sustainability; Land Economics; Forest Economics; Ecological Economics; Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, American Journal of Agricultural Economics
Reviewer, “Transforming REDD+”, CIFOR 2018
Technical Advisory Group member, the VIA initiative (http://www.isealalliance.org/VIA). 2016-2017
Primary and co-advisor
Shang (Shawn) Xu (dissertation co-advisor, PhD, The Ohio State University, 2017-2019)
Samuel Cheng (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2018-)
Gina Price (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2018-)
Nyonho O (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2018-)
Andrew Miller (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2018-)
Matthew Borden (Master thesis, Duke University, 2016);
Corinne Bocci (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2017-2019)
Shelby Stults (Master thesis, The Ohio State University, 2017-2018)
Wei Chen (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2018-2019)
Osama Sajid (PhD, The Ohio State University, 2020-2021)
Bingcai Liu (PhD, The Ohio State University, Expected Spring 2023)
Julia Hélie (PhD, Paris School of Economics, Expected Spring 2024)
Karan Shakya (PhD, The Ohio State University, Expected 2025)
Advisory Board, Bauersachs Foundation, Plovdiv, Bulgaria (2013-): http://bauersax.org
Climate Change Workshop Advisory Board, NAREA (2016-2017)
Volunteer, Green Balkans Federation of Conservation NGOs, Plovdiv, Bulgaria (2001-2011)
Volunteer, Bryn Mawr College Greens Club, Bryn Mawr, PA ( 2003-2006)
Academic Affairs Committee member, The Ohio State University (09/2021-)
Seminar committee member, The Ohio State University (02/2017-09/2021)
Graduate Studies committee member, The Ohio State University (03/2017-09/2021)
University panel on ecosystem services committee member, The Ohio State University (2017-2018)
Courses taught as primary instructor at OSU:
AEDE 4330. Sustainability: Concepts & Methods. Fall 2016-
AEDE 6330. Cost Benefit Analysis: Fall 2020-
AEDE 8103. Doctoral reading/writing seminar: Fall 2021
AEDE 7310. Advanced Environmental Economics. Fall 2017-2019
AEDE 4567. Assessing Sustainability: Project Experience. Fall 2017
Teaching assistant at Duke U.:
Environmental and Resource Economics. Fall 2008, 2012; Spring 2011
Global Environmental Health. Fall 2009 and Fall 2010.
Social Science Survey Methods. Spring 2010.
Electric Power Markets. Spring 2012
Energy Modeling. Spring 2009.
Principles of Economics. Spring 2006
English, Bulgarian, German (proficient), Russian (proficient)
Stata 14, R, ESRI ArcGIS